Understanding Mathematics is a discipline that stands alone in learning things that are all related to reasoning. Mathematics is one of the oldest knowledge and is considered to be the parent or tool and the basic language of many sciences. Mathematics is formed from the study of numbers and spaces which is a discipline that is independent and does not constitute a branch of natural science.
The terms mathematics (Indonesian) mathematics (English), mathematik (German), mathematique (French), matematico (Italian), matematiceski (Russian), mathematick or wiskunde (Dutch) are derived from Greek: mathematikos which is exact science, from the word mathema or mathesis which means teaching, knowledge, or science. Mathematics according to Latin (manthanein or mathema) which means learning or things learned, all of which are related to reasoning.
Mathematics at a low level has arithmetic, geometry and algebra (part of mathematics and an extension of arithmetic, which is widely used in various other disciplines, such as physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, computers, industry, economics, medicine and agriculture) .
Many new branches of Mathematics are added such as:
- Topology (branches of mathematics that study the position and relative position of elements in a set),
- Mechanics (a branch of science that studies work on objects, equilibrium and movement),
- Dynamics (studying the causes and causes of real objects moving),
- Statistics (the branch of mathematics that handles all kinds of numerical data that are important for problems in various branches of human life, such as the number of souls, mortality rates, productivity figures, agriculture, trade figures),
- Opportunities (probability or number of the number of ways an event can occur and the number of times all events can occur),
- Analysis (how to examine a problem, to find all the basic elements and the relationship between the elements concerned),
- as well as logic, triangle geometry, and many others.
Understanding Mathematics is not only related to numbers but more broadly related to the universe. The Liang Gie quoted the opinion of a mathematician named Charles Edwar Jeanneret who said: “Mathematics is the majestic structure by man to grant him comprehension of the universe”, which means that mathematics is a large structure built by humans to provide an understanding of the universe.
In learning mathematics, understanding and mastery of the material are needed, especially in reading symbols, tables and diagrams that are often used in mathematics and complex mathematical structures, from the concrete to the abstract, especially if what is given is a question in the form of stories that require the ability to translate the questions into Mathematical sentences by paying attention to the purpose of the question question.
Learning mathematics is meaningful learning, in the sense that every concept learned must be truly understood / understood before arriving at the practice of its application to the material and everyday life. In addition there are factors that can affect the process of learning Mathematics.
Understanding Mathematical References:
- The Liang Gie, Mathematical Philosophy, (Yogyakarta: Learning Centers for Useful Sciences, 1999),
- Hasan Shadily, EnsiklopediaIndonesia, (Jakarta: New Overview, 1983), p. 2171
- E. Nugroho, dr, Indonesian National Encyclopedia, (Jakarta: PT Cipta Adi Pustaka, 1990), Vol. 10, h. 198
- Roy Hollands, Mathematical Dictionary, (Jakarta: Erlanga, 1995), p. 81
- EP Hutabarat, How to study, (Jakarta: Gunung Mulia, 1995)